Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A Big Prize & a Birthday

Hi!

Let me start off by sharing that we went to the Royal Agricultural Show on Friday which was the opening day! It's become kind of a tradition for us to go to the show ever year, it's been a highlight for years. I think the only time we missed it was when we lived in New Zealand. I will admit that the show has changed a lot over the years, they try to introduce modern things and some of the agricultural attractions have been replaced but they DO still have a lot of the lovely stalls and the animals are still there. I have mentioned in previous posts all that the show has to offer but I'll give you a quick rundown on what we did. Firstly, we stopped at a pizza stand and got ourselves some delicious rectangle-shaped pizzas. I ordered a Margarita-style topping with fresh herbs, Caleb opted for a topping of bacon and feta cheese and my parents both ordered the chicken and avo pizza. My Mum and I exchanged half our slices to get a taste of each other's pizza. We were not left disappointed!
Then, we headed over to see some farmyard animals such as cows, donkeys, chickens, pigs and so on...I love piglets, I'm still trying to get my parents to agree to let me have one! I do realize that they don't stay little forever though, a pity! Although, little Blitzy remained the size of a kitten...hehehe
We also visited the rabbit stall and the judges were busy at work so I didn't take photos of the fluffy little creatures, sorry! Rabbits are just so adorable, especially because they sit like cats and can melt your heart no matter what they do! Cute 24/7   :)
The poultry section was empty though, I suppose they're still on their way to be judged since it was only the first day of the show then.
We did however get to see a few exotic budgies and other similar birds in the other section. There was an especially unique one called a Golden Pheasant, his top feathers looked like a golden wig on his little head.
We briefly visited the horses and there were 2 Shetland ponies outside too. Again, I didn't really take that many photos because as you stroll through the showgrounds, you tend to purchase things and stuff them into any sort of bag or satchel you brought along.....then, fiddling around for a cellphone or tablet becomes quite the task! So do forgive me for my lack of photos.
Anyway, we always like to end the day off with some fresh mini scones with strawberry jam topped with whipped cream and served with tea. There is a lovely little coffeeshop in the Arts and Crafts hall. Though, before enjoying our English tea and scones, we headed over to the display section to see my crochet project.....it won 1st prize by God's grace! All that work did pay off! The only tip that the judge suggested was to crochet the road patches in one continual piece as opposed to individual patches just to avoid all the joins. I guess it would make the road flow more easily too. I shall keep that in mind! The only reason I made them in separate patches was because I had kept changing the layout over time. ;) :D We bought the famous American style donuts at the show too, it's so yummy! We went into the other halls too, everyone loves the Food Hall because of all the tasters along the way! Haha :D We strictly said that we will not buy any newfangled gadget at the show which we always fall prey into. Well, we broke that pledge but in our defense, these items are very useful and unique! I promise!

Woah, this post is already long but....it was my birthday on the 27th! I share a birthday with my Gran as mentioned in last year's post. So, we went to Durban to spend the day with her. It was a lovely day!
My Mom made my birthday cake on Sunday after church and what a beautiful cake it turned out to be! I thank the Lord that my Mum has talent in the cake decorating business because my brother and I reap the rewards yearly! I decided to have a rich dark chocolate cake topped with a buttercream frosting. I had the same combination last year but this time Mum made it rectangle-shaped and covered in large roses, so pretty! I was almost sad to cut the cake but it had to be done and boy was it delicious! We gave slices to everyone on the farm, so basically half the cake was gone, just like that! Well, we can't keep it all to ourselves, now can we?

In animal news, there are 2 new Sparrows who moved into Claridge, they are a noisy, inquisitive pair and are quite tame! Almost daily, you'll find them peeping into either the kitchen window or the back room window, naughty but cute! They even sit on the car mirror, trying to figure out how another pair of sparrows could be living inside the mirror. I think they're adorable but Blitzy has set her sights on them......as prey. Well, they haven't been caught yet but they should be alert, little Biltzy strikes just when the bird least expects it! She may be little but she sure is fast!  

Anyway, bye for now!
God bless,
Sele'ha M Dhew


Our pizzas for breakfast


Pretty calf

Donkey, his name is Romeo

So sad, just like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh

Piglets! Please hold me back lest I take them!!!

Eggs waiting to be hatched in the incubator.

The Golden Pheasant

He/she seems to know they're something special!

Ponies

My crochet project on display!

1st Prize tag

Scones with jam and cream

Chocolate clusters


Now to the Claridge pics.....Granadillas/Passion fruit at Bible House, it was harvested during the week and is ready to be sold.


Hibiscus

One of the Sparrows

From a different angle

Joshy and Blitzy enjoying the sun!



My beautiful rose swirl cake

Inside

From the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment